Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme created and hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.
Follow the link to know more about the meme and join up!
This week they're sharing the top ten things that make them instantly want to read a book. Their post this week can be found here.
I rarely choose to read a book on the fly anymore. Often I carefully research which books I want to read and which I'd rather avoid. I don't often walk into 1 or 2 star reads because I know what I like and what I don't like. Plus, lately, I've been giving myself the option to stop reading a book if I'm not enjoying myself and I don't rate books if I don't finish them.
- Dystopia. When it's about future versions of our world and the possible governments that will form or weird tech that will shape our lives, I'm immediately interested.
- Pretty Cover Art. Yes, that is a shallow reason to pick up a book but it works.
- Book shows up again and again and again in my Goodreads timeline.
- Certain authors. Like Stephen King. I always pick up a new Stephen King.
- Alternative History. Depending on the premise and time period. I'm a sucker for Nazis won the war stories.
- Anti Heroes. I love a good villain and if the villain is also the hero, I'm most happy.
- The summary on the back of the book. I sometimes browse through a bookstore and randomly read the backs of the ones with pretty cover art.
- Parallel Universe. Fascinating subject.
What makes you instantly want to read a book?
I've read TONS of dystopian novels, but I still love them. Not sure why. I just do. Glad I'm not alone :)ReplyDelete
I still love them. I'm starting to get disappointed more often, but I just love the theme! Thanks for stopping by :)Delete
Choosing a book based on the cover, in my opinion, is NOT shallow! If a lot of time is spent on a cover, that means that a helluva lot more time went into the actual writing of the book. Great list.. and I couldn't agree more with you about the intrigue of dystopian governments.ReplyDelete
Thank you :D I am just a big sucker for shiny art!Delete
Cover art is a totally valid reason to want to pick up a book! That's why the even HAVE covers, right?ReplyDelete
Dystopian is getting a little old for me but I enjoy when it's done well.
Yes, I do get disappointed every now and then now, but I'm still intrigued enough that I pick everything up that screams dystopia! Thanks for stopping by :DDelete